Friday, February 15, 2013

DETROIT POLICE - GANG SQUAD vs GANG INTELLIGENCE UNIT

GANG SQD vs GANG INTELLIGENCE UNIT.......

I was a member of Gang Squad, assigned by PC Benny Napoleon, because I criticized it..!!

It was a temp assignment.... Required one MUPP arrest on days - protected bars at night...It was a sacred cow, under Benny - a road to promotion for others...
I still have my GANG SQD jacket...hat - code name... Newsman

I have said Gang Squad is NOT needed - all those officers should be dispersed to precincts - and that officers supply a central Gang Intelligence Unit - with information that will be collected, analyzed and dispersed to ALL street officers....

One TV station reported that an officer had 300 names of gang members on the East Side, but how many officers on the East side - know those names...??? Signs, colors, logos ??

I am not saying Detroit does not have a gang problem - I have said that DPD needs to combat it, more effectively - that every DPD officer should be gang literate....knowledgeable...aware...

To prevent gang violence every officer should be a source of information - not just merely responders to gang related violence...

David L. Malhalab
Sgt DPD Retired

No comments: